I'm hoping this will become a regular posting of things I enjoy and want to share with others.
BOOKS - Just finished reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen. Whirlwind story of a circus vet. I'm not much of a circus person due to my fear of clowns (I don't trust people with too much make-up on - they have something to hide.). Fortunately the book is light on the clowns but action-packed with adventure. Thumbs up.
MUSIC - Yo-Yo Ma "Bach: Cello Suites Nos. 1,5, and 6" Very relaxing album. Just cello. Thinking of buying this CD for my mother-in-law's birthday next month.
APPS - Downloaded a free game app yesterday called "Sushi Cat". The object of the game is to get a round blue cat to eat sushi until his tummy if full. Mindless fun!
KIDS BOOKS,CRAFTS & HOLIDAYS - Yesterday was Three Kings day. We celebrated with a reading of Tomie dePaola's "The Story of the Three Wise Kings." Wee One looked at the cover and exclaimed, "It's the Strega Nona guy!" While Wee One was at school I got out some yellow construction paper. Traced and cut-out several crowns. Then while I was at the dentist Trophy Husband, Wee One, and Wee Two decorated their crowns with crayons, mini pom-poms, and felt stickers.
Next month for Ground Hog Day I'm planning to read Don Freeman's "Gregory's Shadow" and figure out a groundhog craft.
COOKING WITH KIDS - Super easy chili recipe the kids can help make.
1) Grown-up browns the ground beef - I use 1 pound and add a bit of chili seasoning.
2) Get out the crock-pot and put in the browned ground beef.
3) Put crock-pot on the floor (it's easier for the kids to add in the rest of the ingredients).
4) Let the kids dump in the following - 32oz of thick and chunky mild salsa, can of corn, can of kidney beans, can of tomato paste.
5) Stir, put on the lid, then let it heat up.
6) Serve with sourdough bread, sour cream, and shredded cheddar cheese.
Yummy and the kids can say they made dinner. Serves 4 plus leftovers.
YOGA CHALLENGE - Yoga Journal is doing a 21-day challenge to help create a home yoga practice. Below the link to sign up. The challenge starts January 10th. http://21daychallenge.yogajournal.com/
OVERDRIVE APP - This app can link up to your local public library where you can borrow an e-book with your library card and pin code. I'll be reading Anthony Bourdain's "A Bloody Valentine to the World of Food and the People Who Cook."